29 June 2009

Red Flag


The other day I saw a t-shirt that said, “Depression is merely anger without Enthusiasm.” And, you know what, that is probably true in many cases.

In counseling we like to talk about Anger being a secondary emotion used to cover-up or cope with other unwanted emotions like hurt, frustration, disappointment, or fear, just to name a few.

Sometimes people tell me they are angry with God. I tell them what I was told. If you are angry with God, don’t hide it, tell Him. He knows already anyway.

After reflecting on this topic last week I would add this: What primary emotion is our anger toward God covering up – Sadness? Hurt? Disappointment? A lack of trust? A lack of ... faith?

God loves us ... so much so that He sacrificed something, someone, very precious to Him for our benefit. When we begin to rap our minds around the idea that God loves us dearly, that His love is real and tangible, then we begin to embrace hope and faith grows. We begin to experience God’s love in a new way.

There are times I still get angry, even at God. When I do I ask Him to show me which underlying emotion is leading to the anger, and then I ask Him to remind me that He loves me. In my life, inevitably anger is a reflection of my lack of faith in God’s plan for my life. When I am reminded of His awesome love for me faith grows and the anger disipates.

“Father, You are a mighty and loving Creator. Be tender to us, Your children. Do not forget us in our pain and times of need. Life can be really hard Father and we cannot make it without Your love in our lives. We cry out to you in Jesus name.”

No comments:

Post a Comment