28 September 2009

WHATEVER


This week a guest is writing the Prayer Circle post. Anne Lang Bundy is transparent in her love for Jesus. Her writing is a heartfelt act of worship that has taught me and provoked thought. You can learn more about Anne at her blog Building His Body. Please visit her there sometime.



WHATEVER

Parents are provoked to make stupid rules.

"Nobody's allowed to breathe on anybody" comes to mind.

"Do not violate the airspace in their room" was instituted after "stay out of their room" proved insufficient.

"The word 'whatever' is not allowed in this house" has proven to be my favorite.

We have five darling children in our home, ages 4, 8, 10, 13 and 16. They've been brought up with the rich vocabulary of their mother the writer, yet fell back on 'whatever' one time too many for their father's liking. Thus he declared the anti-whatever rule, in an effort to stomp out the kids' disgusted resignation.

The problem with rules is that children have minds which immediately grasp the letter of the law and plot a way around it. It comes less easily for them to understand the spirit of the law and a benefit for the household intended by it.

It was only a matter of time before the word 'whatever' escaped my lips. My husband and I were discussing a decision on which I didn't have a strong opinion. I shrugged and offered a pleasant "okay, whatever" to indicate that I was fine with his preference. I was promptly reminded by one of my darlings that the word was forbidden, for they had listened only to the letter of the law and had entirely missed its spirit.

I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content.
~ Philippians 4:11 (NKJV)

Whatever is not from faith is sin.
~ Romans 14:23 (NKJV)

"You are My friends if you do whatever I command you."
~ John 15:14 (NKJV)

A person's relationship with God can be entirely summarized in how we say 'whatever.'

If a person denies that God exists, the word is said with Ridicule. "Whatever" comes out with a scoff, for who can take seriously what one argues is make-believe?

If a person acknowledges that an almighty God indeed exists, but suspiciously eyes Him as cruel to allow suffering, "Whatever" is spit out with sneering Resentment.

If a person knows of the sovereign God's commandments, but bristles at the idea of obeying them, "What-EV-er!" is snorted in Rebellion, throwing off the Creator's right of ownership.

If a person has acknowledged Christ as Savior, but sees grace as a licence to live as one pleases, "Whatever" is declared with Revelry in a life of continued sin—which dishonors the Savior's blood and undermines a claim of salvation.

If a person has asked for God's forgiveness through the atoning death of Jesus Christ and turned from sin, but does not yet appreciate that God's ways are for our benefit and not to spoil a good time, one will say "Whatever" with a sad sigh, in Resignation to God's will.

But if one finds the place of Rest offered by Jesus, one says "Whatever" in pleasant peace.

Whosoever believes in Jesus for eternal life may also believe in Him for His perfect will. It is possible, even amid hardship, to look heavenward with faith that God is orchestrating for our blessing whatever is beyond our control.

"Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me,
for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls."
~ Matthew 11:28-29 (NKJV)

4 comments:

  1. Thank you so much Anne! Blessings to you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Russell, thank YOU for the honor of writing for you. I'll be sure to stop by and re-read these words from time to time, WHENever I need the reminder myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe I opened this post as 'Whatever' is banned in this house too!

    I really hate it when my wife says "Okay, whatever" because.. I don't know... I just don't like it.

    My 4 year old and 6 year old know not to say it and we explained exactly why when we laid down the law!

    This is a great post though, Anne...

    ReplyDelete