26 September 2010

Sex, Drugs, and Rock-n-Roll

As our love for Jesus grows, so will our obedience. - Ray Kelley

When I was an adolescent, I believed that to follow Jesus, to join God’s Kingdom today, was a kind of death sentence.

If I gave up everything the world had to offer: sex, drugs, rock-n-roll, and all the other fun stuff, in the end I could go to Heaven, or at least avoid that place where Barry Manilow songs are played in perpetual loop for all eternity, Hell.

I tried the sex, drugs, and rock-n-roll. It was fun for a while, but in the end there was just pain.

If I have learned anything, a life without our Father is a life empty. When we look for our own answers, and when we consult the world to do the same, the outcome is never, ever, good. If you don't believe me, pick up the newspaper.

If you love me, you will obey what I command. Jesus of Nazareth

To obey that world revolutionary Jesus is to embrace love. To follow Jesus is to practice forgiveness. To accept His assurances and to repent is to turn away from the empty promises of the world and to rap your arms around peace.

To follow Jesus is in fact a death sentence … it is the death of yesterday’s lies, and the birth of a new day.


... Father, thank You for being a God of grace and love. Father thank You for Your son Jesus. Father we ask that You open our eyes to the lies of the world, and we pray that You cover us in the forgiving blood of Your son. In Jesus name we pray ...


4 comments:

  1. Wow, love this, Russell. Thanks. Got me all stirred up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooo. I like your use of "death sentence." The life I lived before, on the dark side, is definitely one that needed to be killed.

    Good, good post. And good to see you. I was starting to feel lonely around here. : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jason - Thanks again, Brother ... :-)

    Anne -More posts to follow ... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey,wait a minute, I used to love Barry Manilow songs. But one of my favorite groups is Bread and my daughters still tease me about that. You know Russell some of those Barry Manilow songs could be about ones' relationship with Jesus instead of being romantic :).

    ReplyDelete